Saturday, January 3, 2009

New year. New shoes.

So, it's Saturday, and I am up at 5:30 am. This sucks. I am also sick, having had an ear infection (which renders me deaf in my right ear) for a solid two weeks now. Things, I suppose, could be better. I take a moment in self-pity.

Then I realize that things could be much worse. Tracey and I both have great jobs (knock on wood)... something many people are struggling for. We have our health, for the most part. (See above.) We have plans. We have a tangible future... I suppose that makes us pretty well off.

I am glad that 2009 is here. (Subconsciously, I just typed "hear"... wishful thinking.) 2008 had some ups, for sure - but it wasn't my favorite year to date. We survived it, though. And we are positive that this year will be better.

School starts Monday. I miss my students. It's such a bizarre feeling to become attached to kids that aren't related to you. I am looking forward to charging in with both barrels blazing... a lot more responsibility is on the horizon, though, as I am starting a Creative Writing club and a monthly Guest Speaker Series. Hopefully.

We are off to Flagstaff today for the memorial services of Clifford E. White. He was an institution at NAU Theatre. He took me to lunch many times... just because. R.I.P. Cliff. You will be missed.

Happy New Year. See you all soon.

1 comment:

emery_rose said...

I hope this year is great for you guys. You won't believe how much snow there is in Flagstaff!