Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Square Pegs are Punk Rock.

I sat in an inservice all day yesterday. I have to admit, I've never felt as dumb as I do working in Special Ed. A complex system of documentation of documentation for the sake of assessing assessments to better enhance enhancements for the action of meeting the needs of a small handful (per capita) of students exists as a badge of self-righteous bitching. And seriously, I don't understand a goddamn word of any of it.

Special Ed teachers, all teachers, have a certain right to bitch. We are underpaid and have way too many things to do. But there comes a point when our bitching begins to adversely affect our job performance... not to mention our emotional and mental health.

And, when we aren't bitching, we are obsessed with this concept of measurable outcomes. All of you: Seriously think for a moment... of all of the amazing things you've learned in your lifetime thus far, how many of them were measurable. I can't speak for others, but the learning of my lifetime that is NOT measurable is the most profound and most dear to me.

I feel everyday that I don't fit in.

My friend is an architectural drafter. My friend is a prison guard. My friend delivers pizza.

There is a point somewhere in this smattering of syllables. I don't know exactly what it is... but I am getting tired of making it.

2 comments:

emery_rose said...

You always have the greatest titles. Sometimes when I have something to blog about I sit there and think -- what would Jed's title for this blog be? But then I realize that I'd better just stick to my lame titles, and come over here for inspiring ones. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to do so much paperwork. Sometimes it seems like the documentation of the job really takes away from the actual doing of the job.

Chris said...

dido to the ten billionth exponent