Thursday, February 5, 2009

Intimidated but not imitated.

Some times it sucks so bad to be a teacher that I can't really believe that I do it. But it always seems to be conveniently book-ended by a good moment here and there... these crack-like moments of pure joy.

This week blows.

The general stage directions, were there to be such things, for this week would look much like this:

He stood there agape. His face clearly defined "What the freakin' hell, man?" Enter lunatic in a tiger suit. He eats agape man.

Just because that's how crazy it has felt.

For a lil' wrap up...

One of my students was arrested last night.
4 of my students (yes FOUR) were caught smoking pot at school.
2 other students, whom I would never imagine doing so and in whom I am gravely disappointed - kept watch over the bathroom while the said activity occurred.
The assistant principal at the high school was arrested for sex with a 17 year-old student.
The above event has prompted some VERY strange comments from my colleagues.
I was forced, yes forced, to cover a 3rd grade class for about an hour today. I hate 3rd graders now.
Someone stole my favorite pen. That's grounds for a hangin'.

And there was more - but it's all so inside it would take me an hour to explain it.

The good things, though - dammit if they don't keep me coming back...

My toughest 8th grade ED student teaching a 2nd grader to read.
My creative writing club - brilliant kids
My ideas making a difference

I just think it's crazy that you can love your job so much on one day, and wish you'd never even taken it on the next. To not wish your job on your worst enemy, and yet to push your friends into trying it.

That's all, I guess. I just had to vent a bit.

The title is your fault Emery. You said you liked my titles a while back, and now I feel so much pressure to come up with good ones.

Peas to all.

1 comment:

emery_rose said...

Oh man, right after I commented that I thought, shit, now he's going to feel pressure about the titles. Sorry about that!
That does sound like a crazy week at school. I wish I felt so passionately about my job either way right now.